Resting between the beautiful blue shores of Lake Michigan along Grand Traverse Bay lies the Old Mission Peninsula which is home to eight stunning wineries. These Traverse City wineries are renowned for their excellent selection of delicious wines. Here you can tour the vineyards and try many exciting wines such as Chardonnays, Pinot Grigio, Merlot, Pinot Noir, and Riesling. When you are tasting wines there are a few things to keep in mind.
Wine Tasting Do’s and Don’ts
Wine tasting is something that can be a lot of fun. In order to get the most out of your trip to Traverse City wineries here are a few things you should and should not do.
What to Do
* Book a tour with a company that is familiar with the area to ensure that you go to all the best wineries available.
* Brush up on your wine knowledge. Know the difference between a dry wine and a dessert wine.
* Be open to trying new things. When you do a tasting at a winery you will be allowed to make a selections of several different wines to try. Be adventurous and try a wine you have never tried before. Let yourself experience new things. You might find a new favorite wine.
* Know how to properly taste the wine. Smell the wine and enjoy the aroma. This is part of the tasting experience.
* Buy something. If there is a wine that you really like take some home with you. Wine also makes a great gift so this would be a great time to purchase something for a loved one as well.
* Ask about wine and food pairings and learn what you can about the wines that you are trying.
* If you are not visiting wineries with a group on a tour make sure you have a designated driver to ensure that everyone stays safe.
* Walk around outside the wineries where you are allowed and enjoy the beauty of the vineyards while sipping your wines.
What Not to Do
* Don’t guzzle your wine.
* Don’t get drunk while you are doing your tastings and don’t arrive for your tastings already intoxicated. Be respectful of the wineries, their employees and other guests.
* Don’t bring outside beverages into the winery. If you have purchased wines from other vineyards leave them in your car.
Touring wineries and enjoying tastings is a great way to spend a pleasant afternoon and Traverse City offers many exciting wineries to explore and enjoy. By following this advice you will ensure that you always have a good time.