Bikers aren’t known for being wimps. They aren’t stupid, either. They’re well aware that riding a motorcycle is inherently far more dangerous than driving a car or a truck (which they probably own in addition to the bike). Bikers also like to take care of their own problems.
The Negotiation Process
Negotiating a settlement with an insurance company is sort of like dealing with a loan shark on steroids. A negotiation might go something like this.
* First figure out what the accident claim is worth, including past, present and future lost wages, medical expenses and pain and suffering. There are a number of factors that go into determining what an reasonable offer would be. Decide what settlement amount would be acceptable, and keep this to yourself.
* The insurance company will begin with a low-ball offer, just to see if the injured person knows what they are doing.
As an alternate strategy, the insurance company may deny the claim altogether, stating that the injured person was to blame.
* Ask the insurance company to justify, in writing, the reasons behind that low offer.
* Hopefully, there are some very good accident pictures. Pick out the ones that are the most shocking or gruesome. Make emotional arguments about all the difficulties caused by the accident, such as how lost wages are affecting the family.
* Wait for a response. Don’t get nervous and counter-offer with a lower amount more than once. Two reduced counter-offers in a row indicates weakness.
This cycle can continue for quite a while with phone calls, letters and attempts to pin all of the blame on you.
If the negotiation process does not appear to be going well, it’s time to consider talking to a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Topeka KS. If the amount being discussed is more than a few thousand dollars, the insurance company will not take negotiations seriously unless an attorney is involved. An experienced attorney will know how to value the claim, which is critical. If you don’t know what you want, you won’t get it.
Jeffrey W. Jones is a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Topeka KS who understands the ramifications of cases involving injured bikers. The legal team at The Law Office of Jeffrey W. Jones is dedicated to putting in maximum effort and getting their clients the compensation that they deserve.