At many schools, the only exposure to the theater is at the annual school play. Sometimes, older students may attend a play put on by professionals or see a performance over the holidays. Very few schools today offer theater programs for kids. This is a pity. Professional instructors of all types in Deerfield IL know very well the proven benefits of taking theater courses.
Statistics about Theater Programs and Students
Statistics indicates that high school students perform better on SAT tests if they have been involved in theater courses. The same applies for those who have taken part in theater outside of the parameters of school. This particularly applies to their performance in both the math and verbal components. This does not apply solely to older children. Various academic skills arise out of parents enrolling their children in theater programs for kids. Overall, statistics and research both indicate the positive effects of attending theater classes or becoming involved in theater-related activities.
Benefits of Theater Programs for Kids
Theater provides children with what may be termed transferable skills. Children can explore themselves while learning set abilities. It is more than talent that will help them emerge victoriously. Much success in such programs requires them to work hard, applying themselves to learning all they can. At the same time, theater programs for kids are designed to be fun.
Overall, theater programs are beneficial in so many ways. They:
* Improve a child’s skills in reading comprehension, and communication. For the latter theater programs are good for developing both verbal and non-verbal types of communication. This means publicly is not an issue.
* Increase school attendance. This means children stay in school longer, learn more and have increased rates of completion
* Are more engaging. Students in places like Deerfield IL are more engaged in what they do in school. This also acts as a deterrent to becoming a drop-out
* Teach children to function independently as well as within a group. Theater programs for kids teach children of all ages how to work alone as well as how to function as a member of a group. Skills learned include problem-solving and working towards a consensus
* Help them learn self-confidence. Going up on stage alone or as part of a group and surviving or even thriving does wonder for a child’s sense of being. It also introduces a feeling of pride in what she or he may have accomplished.
* Introduce or reinforce the characteristics of self-discipline and acceptance of critical comments. All theater work requires an individual, no matter how young, be self-disciplined. Being involved in theater classes for kids also means exposing yourself to criticism. A child learns to accept it and to understand that constructive criticism is meant to help them improve
Theater Programs for Kids
If you have children and live in Deerfield IL, you understand the need to ensure your child benefits from every possible experience. If your child has a learning disability, you are doubly concerned. According to experts in the field, children of all ages and developmental levels can learn from theater programs. They are certain that theater programs for kids are instrumental in providing them with certain benefits in the physical, emotional, academic, personal and social aspects their lives.