Finding The Right Pediatric Neuropsychological Consultant

If your child is suffering from learning in school, you, a teacher or counselor may recommend taking him or her to see a pediatric neuropsychological consultant. This professional or psychologist is a specialist in testing for and analyzing diverse learning problems among children. This type of consultant will test children on different levels, analyze the results and, often in consultation with parents and other professionals, devise an individualized program or treatment plan. While your school may have access to one, you may also want to arrange for a private consultation. This will require you do some research on the first.


In order to become a neuropsychologist, the individual has to earn a bachelor’s degree. The source for this and subsequent degrees must be a fully accredited university or college. Following this, s/he must obtain a Ph.D. with a focus neuropsychology or clinical neuropsychology. In addition, since neuropsychology is a specialization of psychology and pediatric neuropsychology is a subcategory of neuropathology, additional post-doctoral training must occur. Upon completion, while some students may pursue clinical research, others will opt for opening a practice.

Make sure the pediatric neuropsychological consultant has more than a background in clinical research but has several years’ experience. Ask how long he or she has been in practice. Finding out how many children s/he assesses annually will help to clarify commitment and reveal the level of experience.


If you want to practice, you have to have a license. In some states, you will obtain one as a psychologist; in other states, licensure is for a neuropsychologist. Make sure your choice qualifies.

Pediatric Neuropsychological Consultant

When looking for a pediatric neuropsychological consultant, consult with your own doctors as well as your school professionals. Make sure you have options. Contact and arrange for you and your child to visit before committing to what is a very important step in helping your child take control of his or her life.

Is your child in need of a Neuropsychological Consultant? Does he or she require testing and evaluation for learning diseases such as Dyslexia, Dyscalculia and Dysgraphia? If this is the situation, contact Dr. Joshua Shifrin, Ph.D., ABSNP and NCSP. At his clinic, he and his trained staff aim to provide neuropsychological evaluation, testing and/or helpful intervention techniques for various learning disabilities. For more information about specific services, visit You can also connect them on Facebook for more updates.

Be the first to like.

Add Comment

nineteen − six =

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This