There is nothing a pet owner wants more than to have a healthy, happy pet. Sometimes the unexpected happens, however, and the owner may face an emergency situation. It is common for an injured or sick animal to go into shock before you are able to get it to a Vet in Bowie. If this happens, knowing what to do may be the difference between life and death.
When an animal goes into shock, their blood pressure drops quickly. Your pet may have labored breathing, and their gums may appear pale. In the early stages, their heart rate will be elevated, and the animal may appear agitated. Shock is most commonly observed after an accident, including being hit by a car or after a fight with another animal. It can also be the result of an allergic reaction or a medical condition. Since the initial symptoms of shock may be hard to detect, it is wise to monitor any pet after an injury, even if they appear to be normal.
If your pet goes into shock, the first step is to restrain the animal. Wrap them in a towel or blanket to restrict movement. This will also keep the animal warm in case their body temperature drops too low. Make sure the airways of your pet are open. Check for obstructions in the mouth, and be careful not to cover their face with anything. Do not try to offer the animal food or water. This may lead to aspiration. Try to stop any bleeding by tying a tourniquet to the injury. Once the animal is restrained and stabilized, transport them to the closest Vet in Bowie. Try to act calmly to help keep your pet from becoming too anxious. Time is valuable as shock can escalate in just a few minutes.
If left untreated, the shock is often deadly. However, by acting quickly, many animals can be saved. Shock is a medical emergency and must be treated by a veterinarian. If your pet is showing symptoms of shock, visit the website to determine the best course of action. The faster you react in an emergency situation, the better chance your pet has for a full recovery.